Autism- A Neurodevelopment Disorder
What is Autism?
Autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder(ASD) is a neurodevelopment disorder which affects a person's whole cognitive, physical, emotional and social health.
At the first year of a child, one can detect ASD by the following signs:
- Communication problem;
- Repetitive Behavior towards a situation/event;
- Difficulty in Social Interaction; and
- Obsessive Interests
3 Most Common Types of ASD:
- Asperger Syndrome: Individual with this type generally has mild symptoms of autistic disorder. The characteristics include social challenges and different unusual interests.
- Autistic Disorder: Its other name is "Classic Disorder". This type includes social, verbal and non-verbal communication and unusual interests challenges.
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified: This is the mildest one. This kind includes mostly social and developmental issues like motor skills.
Is ASD Curable?
ASD is a mental disorder which is not fully curable. But, one can help the autistic person to control it if diagnosed at the very early stage.
Therapies for diagnosing Autism:
- Family Therapy: An autistic child or individual should be given a positive and accepting environment at their home. This helps a child to improve communication and behavioral skills with their family members.
- Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA): It is used in schools and clinics to improve verbal communication and positive behavior and cut the negative ones.
- Floor Time Therapy: It involves playing activities with your autistic child. The games or activities will be the child's choice. This improves his/her reflexive behavior to an action/other people.
- TEACCH: This includes visual techniques like picture cards to make a child learn every day or daily life tasks.
- PECS: It includes symbols to help a child communicate with these symbols.
- Occupational Therapy: This kind of therapy makes a child inculcate the habit of day-to-day activities like bathing, brushing, combing hair, etc.
- Sensory Integration Therapy: This therapy makes a child gets adapted to the sensations of touch, exposure to light and sounds that is to make a child aware of the surroundings.